Ten Predictions for 2008
It’s a sure thing — Tom Kotchman will take the Orem Owlz into the playoffs.
Ten predictions for 2008, in no particular order of importance or credibility:
- Jeff Mathis takes over the Angels’ full-time catching role by mid-season.
- Brandon Wood becomes the Angels’ full-time shortstop by season’s end.
- Casey Kotchman actually stays healthy for a full season and hits thirty homers.
- Joe Saunders will start drawing comparisons to Tom Glavine.
- Nick Adenhart will have an ERA over 4.50 with Salt Lake, and some people will dismiss him as a "bust" even though he’s a 21-year old pitching in a Triple-A high-altitude ballpark. Nick will also make his major league debut in September.
- Jordan Walden begins the year with Cedar Rapids, makes the Midwest League All-Star team, then gets promoted to Rancho Cucamonga for the second half.
- Hank Conger, Matt Sweeney and Mark Trumbo will each hit 20 HR for Rancho Cucamonga.
- The Quakes’ rotation of Sean O’Sullivan, Trevor Bell, Jeremy Haynes, David Herndon and Tommy Mendoza will be considered the best in the California League.
- The Quakes qualify in the first-half for the California League playoffs. The team that actually goes to the playoffs looks little like the qualifying team because so many guys got mid-season promotions to Double-A.
- And the easiest prediction … Tom Kotchman leads the Orem Owlz into the Pioneer League playoffs.
This article is copyright © 2008 Stephen C. Smith DBA FutureAngels.com. It may not be reprinted elsewhere without the prior expressed written permission of the author. To obtain permission, e-mail Stephen at firstname.lastname@example.org.